Monday, March 28, 2016

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee



I declare this week To Kill a Mockingbird week on this blog. It was my turn to choose a book for book club and was about to choose a beautiful memoir I read last year. But then I heard the news of Harper Lee's passing and I knew I had to choose To Kill a Mockingbird. This book is at the very top of my list of books that everyone should read.

In case you aren't familiar with To Kill a Mockingbird, even though the narrator is a young Scout Finch, this book is definitely for mature young adult readers. I'm not going to designate an age, because each child is different. I highly recommend reading it at the same time as your young adult and having open discussions about some of the more difficult topics including racism and rape. Later this week I will post some discussion questions about the book.

I don't know how many times I've read this book, but I get something new out of it each time. Did you read To Kill a Mockingbird in high school? Have you read it since?
__________

To Kill a Mockingbird
By Harper Lee
Publisher: HarperCollins
Year: 1999 (40th Anniversary Edition)
Ages: Mature Young Adults

No comments:

Post a Comment