Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Importance of Bedtime Stories

I'm grateful to have a mother-in-law who makes reading books with my kids a fun part of every visit.

A recent article in The Guardian discusses the importance of bedtime stories in literacy. And they weren't just talking reading stories to your youngest children. The concern was that once children can read alone, their parents stop reading aloud to them. Continuing to read aloud to them helps cement a love of reading and is great bonding time.

I was lucky enough to have a mom who read out loud to us all no matter how old we were. Her voice introduced me to Little House on the Prairie, Where the Red Fern Grows, and other classic books for children. Her example helped me become a mother who reads to her children. We read a bedtime book to each of them each night and I've started reading aloud from a chapter book to help during the transition from being at school and being at home.

My children are still small, so bedtime stories are an easy part of our routine. But this article was a good reminder to continue to read aloud to them even when they learn to read on their own.

Is reading to your kids a part of your bedtime routine? If you have older children, do you still read books out loud with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment