Monday, October 19, 2015

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle


“You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.” – Madeleine L’Engle

A Wrinkle in Time is one of my favorite books ever. I've put it on every list of books I think everyone should read and I've read it at least once a year since I was about ten years old. I miss it if I don't read it. Thought it is geared toward younger readers, I think every adult should read it too.

I've had a hard time explaining why I love this book so much. It undeniably has some strange elements to it. It's written in very simple language. It begins with a cliche--"It was a dark and stormy night." But I could relate to Meg--awkward, emotional, unpopular, feeling unloved. I think most young girls feel that way. (I'm not sure about the popular pretty girls, because none of them ever talked to me.) Yet in the end, Meg is the hero. She saves her family.

This book is simple enough for children, but has themes complex enough for me to choose it for my adult book club read. If you haven't read it, you should. It needs to be sitting on your bookshelf for your kids to discover and love someday.

What's your favorite book from  your childhood? Do you have a book that you read over and over again?
__________

A Wrinkle in Time
by Madeleine L'Engle
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Year: 1962
Info: Newbery Award Winner
Ages: Middle Grade, Young Adult
Themes: science fiction, good vs. evil, conformity, family, love
Source: my bookshelf

No comments:

Post a Comment