Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Give the Gift of Books

There are lots of lists of gifts for book lovers. I would love a purse made out of a book cover or socks that look like a library check out card. But the best gifts for book lovers is more books.

While I was growing up, every Christmas we got a stack of books. I've continued this tradition with my kids. And even though books can be expensive, they don't have to be. Most of the books I get for my kids are from garage sales and a kid's consignment store.

The kids in your life will like different books than mine do, but here are five things to think about when choosing books as gifts.

1. Choose books that are a little ahead of their age. My first grader isn't quite ready to read chapter books on her own, but I loved the Ramona books and anticipate her enjoying them too sometime in the next year. If nothing else, we can read them together.


2. Get them books with characters they like. If you know a TV show or movie they like, get them a book that goes with it. Even if they're not a reader, they will be drawn to a character they already know. (My daughter loves Curious George.)


3. Look and Find books are great for kids to look at on their own. They're fun to read together, but they also get kids to spend time alone with a book before they can even read.


4. Get them a book you love. If you're excited about it, it can help them get excited about it. I love literature and love giving the BabyLit Board Books as gifts to my own kids and as baby shower gifts.

5. Get them a nonfiction book about something they like. My daughter wants to learn to cook and so a kids' cookbook is a great option for her. For kids who aren't as into fiction, there are lots of nonfiction titles to find about something they're interested in.

Bonus: If you have no idea what kind of book they'll like, give a bookstore gift card. My kids each got a bookstore gift card last year and it was a special experience for them to get to go and pick out whatever book they wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment