Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs is . . . well, peculiar. It's been around for a while, but it looked a little scary to me. And it was. But not too scary for me as long as I didn't read too late at night. It was the same kind of scary as Neil Gaiman or Tim Burton (who is directing the film version). So if you like them, you might like this book.

The book is filled with real and very strange vintage photographs which gave the author some of her inspiration for the story. It's a little bit historical, a little bit suspense, and a big dose of fantasy. I wasn't sure about the book when I started it, but the first line drew me in: "I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen."

This book was really good and really original (which is hard to do). But a word of caution. Besides being a little scary, this book also has a few curse words. It is an excellent read and I recommend it, just not to everyone.

__________

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs
Publisher: Quirk Books
Year: 2011
Ages: Young Adult
Content: some curse words, scary elements

No comments:

Post a Comment