Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Happy 100th Birthday to Beverly Cleary

Image from Powells.com, one of my favorite independent bookstores.

I'm a day late, but children's book author Beverly Cleary turned 100 yesterday. I grew up with Ramona. I remember reading her squeezing all the toothpaste out of a tube and pulling all the tissues out of a box and really wanting to do those things too. I was a rule follower and was envious of free-spirited Ramona. Through her, I got to experience things I was too timid and cautious to do myself.

To celebrate Cleary's birthday, three of her books are being released with special new forewords. I have the new edition of Ramona Quimby, Age 8 hiding in my closet waiting for my daughter's 7th birthday next month.

April has also been declared D.E.A.R. month--Drop Everything And Read--to encourage kids to make reading a priority.

Did you read Beverly Cleary books growing up? Which was your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment