Monday, April 11, 2016

Newbery Books Worth Reading: Invincible Louisa



In my early twenties I worked in a middle school library. It was one of my favorite jobs because I worked with books all day long. Middle school is the perfect age for reading Newbery books. I had already read a lot of them as a child, so I made the goal to read them all. It took a long time, but a few years ago I met that goal and have kept it up by reading the Newbery winner each year after it's announced.

The John Newbery Award is given to "the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children." And I'd love to say that they are all great and you and your kids should read them all! But the award started in 1922 and I have to admit that children's literature used to be just plain weird. From too many horse and dog stories to downright weird and creepy. (I'm looking at you Miss Hickory that ends with a squirrel eating the protagonist doll's nut head. Sorry for the spoiler, but really, you can skip that one.)

So here I begin an ongoing series highlighting the Newbery Award books that are worth reading. Even though some are strange, many of them are on my list of favorite children's books of all time. I haven't read all the Newbery Honor books, but I will include some notable ones that I have read.

First we're going to go all the way back to 1934. (See? Some of the oldies are goodies.)


I read Invincible Louisa by Cornelia Meigs when I was a young girl. It's the story of the author of Little Women. So obviously I recommend it for those who have already read, or at least watched, Little Women. I don't remember a lot of details, but I remember that it held my interest. I think it's a good book for young girls to read because it helps them make the connection between books and authors. Actual people write the books they read, which means that maybe they could too.

I also recommend reading the book Little Women and I even really adore the 1994 movie version of Little Women, and not just because Christian Bale is in it, though that doesn't hurt. Little Women would be a great book for mothers and daughters to read together. And then watch Christian Bale, I mean, the movie. If you haven't read it or seen the movie, just take my advice and keep the tissues handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment