Friday, July 8, 2016

Newbery Books Worth Reading: Ramona Quimby, Age 8



I loved the Ramona books when I was a child. I was excited to see that there would be reprintings of some Beverly Cleary books to celebrate her 100th birthday. One of those was Ramona Quimby, Age 8. I just started reading it with my daughter. Childhood memories came flooding back and I really saw why Beverly Cleary is such a great children's writer: she remembers what it's like to be a kid.

If you or your kids have never read Beverly Cleary books, you need to add them to your to be read list. Ramona appeals to girls because she's a girl, but Cleary has many books with boy protagonists too. Check the shelves for her books the next time you're at the library.

Did you grow up alongside Ramona?

__________

Ramona Quimby, Age 8
By Beverly Cleary
Illustrated by Jaqueline Rogers
Foreword by Amy Poehler
Publisher: HarperCollins
Year: 2016
Ages/Themes: Early Readers, Newbery Honor Books, Newbery Books Worth Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment