Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Sharing the Bread by Pat Zietlow Miller & Jill McElmurry



I feel a bit like Charlie Brown: "We have another holiday to worry about. It seems Thanksgiving Day is upon us!" I actually love Thanksgiving, but it snuck up on me this year. Christmas is at the top of my list, but Thanksgiving marks the beginning of the holiday season for me. We don't decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving, but I do listen to Christmas music well beforehand. If there were more good Thanksgiving songs, I'd listen to those.

There are also a lot more Christmas books than Thanksgiving books. I was looking at the library for a Thanksgiving themed books to read with my kids. The first one I got was written in the 1950s and I wasn't comfortable with the way it portrayed Native Americans. Recently I found this book, Sharing the Bread: An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving by Pat Zietlow Miller & Jill McElmurry.

There's only one brief reference to the first Thanksgiving when the young boy makes Pilgrim hats. But it focused on what I love about Thanksgiving: family, food, and gratitude. I appreciated how this old-fashioned Thanksgiving dinner had the whole family working together to make the meal. It's how I remember Thanksgiving as a child. My grandmother may have most of the side dishes, but Grandpa was always in charge of making his famous potato rolls. And on the other side of my family, Grandpa made the pies. Everyone shared in the work as well as enjoying the meal together.

Do you have any favorite Thanksgiving books?

__________

Sharing the Bread: An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving
By Pat Zietlow Miller & Jill McElmurry
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Year: 2015
Ages: Picture Books, Young Children
Themes: Thanksgiving, holidays, food, family, stories in rhyme
Info: Full color illustrations


No comments:

Post a Comment