Friday, November 13, 2015

The Piggy in the Puddle by Charlotte Pomerantz



When I was a child, I loved Reading Rainbow. And I loved seeing LeVar Burton, my beloved RR host, on my dad's Star Trek show. My sisters and I would put banana clips over our eyes to pretend to be Geordi La Forge. My girls have been enjoying watching episodes of Reading Rainbow on Netflix (and I'm enjoying the 80s flashbacks).

One of the episodes I remember the most highlighted The Piggy in the Puddle by Charlotte Pomerantz, pictures by James Marshall. (Can you hear it in LeVar Burton's voice?) It showed how they created the story with claymation and it was the first time I realized that animation doesn't just happen, someone creates it.

The title character, the piggy, jumps in a mud puddle and her family tries to convince her to leave it. It's a fun book to read out loud because of all the rhyming and alliteration.

Did you watch Reading Rainbow growing up?

__________

The Piggy in the Puddle
Words by Charlotte Pomerantz
Pictures by James Marshall
Publisher: Aladdin Paperbacks
Year: 1974
Ages: Picture Books, Young Children
Info: full color illustrations, Reading Rainbow book
Themes: animals, mud, pigs, rhymes

No comments:

Post a Comment