Saturday, January 16, 2016

The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley



The 2016 Newbery Award winner and honor books have been announced. More than ten years ago when I was working in a middle school library, I made a goal to read all the Newbery Award books. I finished that goal a few years back and eagerly look forward to reading the new winner each year. Since I only have to read one book a year to keep up the goal, I often read the honor books too. And sometimes I like them even better than the winner.

The War that Saved my Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradely earned a Newbery Honor nod this year. I already had this book on my TBR list and I'm glad that gave me the extra push to read it. It's the first full book I read in 2016 and it was a good start.

It's the story of young Ada and her little brother Jamie who leave London to live in the country during the bombings of World War II. Narrated by Ada, it's a powerful story of overcoming hardships. Despite that rousing description, it's a book I would have loved when I was young. It talks about difficult times and difficult issues, but in an age appropriate way. Much better than a ten-year-old reading The Hiding Place. Which I did. Anyway, good book. You should read it or give it to your Middle Grade reader.

__________

The War that Saved my Life 
By Kimberly Brubaker Bradely
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers
Year: 2015
Ages: Middle Grade, Young Adult
Themes: WWII, England, disabilities
Awards: Newbery Honor Book

No comments:

Post a Comment